If you want to effectively market your business, you need to know what works. Here’s what works:
- Plan first. Work from the plan.
- Implement projects consistently and according to a schedule.
- Do more of what works, drop what doesn’t.
- Don’t pass up opportunities.
- Adapt continually.
A marketing plan is the first step in the process. Think roadmap. You know where you are and you know where you want to go. Your marketing plan is the roadmap that will get you there. Sure, maybe you’ve got a great internal compass, but that’s not going to make sure you’re on the right road to get to the Interstate. At DP Marketing, we strongly recommend development of a marketing plan before you do anything else.
There are a few other things you need to know. Your marketing plan doesn’t have to be long, detailed and complicated. In fact, it really needs to be a working document. It’s a roadmap, but occasionally you’re going to have to take a detour or even change course. Second, budget isn’t the most important factor. You can market on a low budget, but it’s important to do something and do it consistently. In fact, sometimes the least expensive efforts produce the biggest success. Finally, you don’t have to do it all yourself. Choose what fits your capabilities and commit to it. Other activities can be delegated or outsourced.
There are six elements to a functional marketing plan:
- Goals – what are the greatest needs of your company, listed in order of priority?
- Strategy – what are the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT) that will aid you or deter you from reaching the goals?
- Tactics – what specific tools will you need to reach the goals? What resources are available? What resources will need to be developed?
- Budget – How much will the implementation of each tactic cost?
- Timetable – What is a realistic timetable for implementation?
- Measures – what measures will be used to gauge the effectiveness of each tactic and the progress toward goals?
No charge to get started. We’ll be glad to schedule a 1 to 2 hour meeting with you free of charge to begin learning about your company. From there, DP Consulting can provide you with a brief overview proposal and suggestions for plan components. Once the roadmap is in place, we can also help with the driving, implementing marketing tactics for your company as you need us.